What can I gain from the world?
1 John 2:16: “For all that is in the world, the last of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful of pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world.”
1) Lust of the flesh
• Jesus said, “But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart (Matthew 5:28 NASV)”.
• 2 Samuel 11:2-5: Now when the evening came David arose from his bed and walked around on the roof of the king’s house, and from the roof he saw a woman bathing; and the woman was very beautiful in appearance. So David sent and inquired about the woman. And one said, “Is this not Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam, the wife of Uriah the Hittite?” David sent messengers and took her, and when she came to him, he lay with her; and when she had purified herself from her uncleanness, she returned to her house. The woman conceived; and she sent and told David, and she said,” I am pregnant.”
• James said, “But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust (James 1: 14).”
• James said, “You lust and do not have; so you commit murder. You are envious and cannot obtain; so you fight and quarrel (James 4:2).”
• Solomon said, “For a harlot is a deep pit and an adulterous woman is a narrow well. Surely she lurks as a robber, and increases the faithless among men (Proverbs 23:27-28).”
• Solomon said, “From the window of my house I looked out through my lattice, And I saw among the naïve, and discerned among the youths a young man lacking sense, passing through the street near her corner; and he takes the way to her house, in the twilight, in the evening, in the middle of the night and in the darkness. And behold, a woman comes to meet him, dressed as a harlot and cunning of heart. She is boisterous and rebellious, her feet do not remain at home; She is now in the streets, now in the squares, and lurks by every corner. So she seizes him and kisses him and with a brazen face she says to him: “I was due to offer peace offerings; today I have paid my vows. Therefore I have come out to meet you, to seek your presence earnestly, and I have found you. “I have spread my couch with coverings, with colored linens of Egypt. I have sprinkled my bed with myrrh, alones and cinnamon. Come let us drink our fill of love until morning; let us delight ourselves with caresses. For my husband is not at home, he has gone on a long journey; he has taken a bag of money with him. At the full moon he will come home (Proverbs 7:6-20).”
The lust of the flesh will destroy you emotionally, physically, and spiritually.
2) Lust of the eyes
• Now the serpent was craftier than any other beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said to the woman, “Indeed, has God said, ‘You shall not eat from the |any tree of the garden’?” The woman said to the serpent, “From the fruit of the trees of the garden we may eat; but the fruit of the tree which is in the middle of the garden, God has said, ‘You shall not eat from it, or you will die.’ “The serpent said to the woman, “You surely will not die! “For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened and you will be like God, knowing good and evil. When the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was desirable to make one wise, she took from its fruit and ate; and she gave also to her husband with her, and he ate( Geneses 3:1-6)
• Isaiah said, “I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High (Isaiah 14:14).”
• James said, “You adulterous, do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God (James 4:4).”
• Paul said, “ Because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so, and those who are in the flesh cannot please God ( Romans 8:7-8).”
• Paul said, “Therefore God gave them over the lusts of their hearts to impurity, so that their bodies would be dishonored among them. “For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worship and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen. ‘For this reason God gave them over to degrading passion; for their women exchanged for the natural function for that which is unnatural, and the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in the their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving their own persons the due penalty of their error (Romans 1:24-27).”
The lust of the eyes will distort your perception about life.
3) Boastful pride of life
• James said, “But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your heart, do not be arrogant and so lie against the truth. “For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder and every evil things (James 3: 14, 16).”
• Paul said, “But to those who are selfishly and ambitious and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, wrath and indignation (Romans2:8).”
• Peter said, “Know this first of all, that in the last days mockers will come with their mocking, following after their own lust (2 Peter 3:3).”
• Jude said, that they were saying to you,” In the last time there will be mockers, following after their own ungodly lust. Those are the ones who cause divisions, worldly minded, devoid of the Spirit (Jude 18).”
• Paul said, “But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised (1 Corinthians 2:14).”
The boastful pride of life will bring you to your demise.
These are not from the Father, and they are the enemies of our souls!
Romans 13:14: “But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh in regard to its lusts.”
Romans 6:19: “I am speaking in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness, resulting in further lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness, resulting in sanctification.”